Promoting farmer entrepreneurship
I am looking for information on the Agricultural market in Uganda
- How many small holder farmers are there and what is their typical profile
- Who are the major produce buyers, input suppliers
- What agricultural extension services are available and who are the providers, in what regions - government, NGO and others
- what are the major farmer organizations and associations
- Which are the major programs supporting small holder farmers
- What are the major gaps in agricultural extension service provision
Dear Mr. Steven, you can write to Mr. Sam Nabimanya of Green Firm Africa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
I am sure he will be able to help you.
Thanks Amos, I will get in touch with him
This something that can be done, but at cost. You will need some literature review, e.g.Statistical Abstract, Government publications (especially Min of Fin and Econ Dev.) Some field investigations with some NGOs.
One key input supplier is Nsanja agrochemicals which has outlets in Kampala and Mbale. They supply pesticides, folia feeds, hybrid vegetable seed, green house polythene, green house netting, drip-lines etc. Most importantly though they have a crop exposition site in Nansana- Kampala where farmers come to learn on hybrid vegetable crop husbandry. This the equivalent of a centre of excellence.
The director Mr. Kazibwe is in the process of establishing a hybrid farmers association a forum for growers to exchange ideas and experiences on the management of hybrid vegetable seed crops. You can reach Mr Kazibwe on email@example.com
For extention services, Mr. William Kweza constructs green house structures across the countryfrom local materials, sells vegetable seedlings from his nursery and provides technical expertise (extention services) to all hybrid vegetable seed growers, you can reach him on 'firstname.lastname@example.org'